Muscle burns fat!
I thought about doing this post during the holidays when we were all blogging those sinful recipes, but decided more of you would be interested after the new year when exercise becomes more popular.
Many of you may not know, but at almost 57 years old (yikes) I am really into fitness thanks to my daughter Alissa who is REALLY passionate about the lifestyle. I have always done some type of fitness since high school, but it was off and on, now and then, and I would burn out, then get serious. It was only after the big "M" hit and I packed on 20 lbs that I decided I needed a "healthy for life" change. That was over 6 years ago, and I never stopped. Why? Because I finally found what works for me! And I feel better now than I did when I was in my 30's and 40's.
I have never been a fan of aerobic dancing since I am clutz, I get bored on the treadmill, I hate going to the gym, and always found a reason not to go. I would tell myself I was going to work out at 4pm everyday, but found an excuse not to most of the time. So the answer for me has been FITNESS DVDS where I could work out at home. And I found the best time for me was first thing in the morning. I put on my workout clothes as soon as I crawl out of bed, have a glass of water with a few raw almonds and check my email. 30-45 min later I am awake, hydrated and ready to get my heart pumping!
Another thing I hated was a LONG workout, so I usually do 30-45 min, but I have some power workouts that are only 20 minutes that are very effective too.
What works for me:
(I am not skinny nor muscle bound, but average size 12 and feel great!)
1. combination of cardio and weights 5 days a week
2. low carb, high protein diet
3. eating every 2-3 hours
4. at least 2 quarts of water daily
One of my favorite series of DVD's is from Leslie Sansone Walk at Home. They are so easy to follow (for a clutz like me) and for many levels of fitness from beginner to advanced. Amazing cardio workouts! There are tons to choose from too. I buy most of mine from Amazon, but you can also buy from Leslie's website or ebay.
Here are some interesting tibits from Leslie Sansone's website
The lucky 13 benefits you’ll typically achieve after six easy weeks if you exercise and eat right
- You’ll drop 15 pounds of ugly fat!
- You’ll gain 5 pounds of metabolism-boosting muscle!
- You’ll look and feel fabulous!
- You’ll burn an extra 200 calories a day… just by being in better shape!
- You’ll lower your risk of heart disease by a whopping 45 percent!
- You’ll lower your risk of stroke 42 percent!
- You’ll lower your blood pressure by 10 points!
- You’ll lower your total cholesterol by 10 percent!
- You’ll raise your “good” cholesterol (HDL) by 5 percent!
- You’ll lower your risk of diabetes by a super 58 percent!
- You’ll lower your risk of an early death by a joyous 55 percent!
- Your husband or boyfriend will watch Y-O-U instead of ESPN!
- 1. Your family and true friends will be loving and supportive!
If I motivated at a least a few of you, I will be happy!
You are never too old or too out of shape to start a fitness program
Strong women stay strong!